3 January 2023
Stefania Gandolfi / Paige Tibbetts
Instructors | Ryde Cayman
Sticking to resolutions — especially those that challenge us physically and mentally — can be difficult. The key to success is to establish a new routine incorporating the objectives of your resolution.
The first few weeks will be difficult, but you will have a better chance of success if you can adopt your new schedule as your routine. Like everything in life, it helps to enjoy what you are doing, so try to create a routine that is both enjoyable and achievable.
Here are a few tips to get you started and keep you on track for success:
Soft Tissue and Sports Massage Therapist | Align
To be honest, I’m not a fan of New Year’s resolutions. Especially resolutions that tie into the “be fit, lose weight and look great” goal — which most of them seem to.
So, what do I have against them? The reality is that as a sports massage therapist, I get to see the muscle strains and injuries caused by fitness goals that are unachievable; new fitness schedules that are unsupervised and don’t take into account important details like correct technique, building up momentum and tracking of progress; and even basics like the importance of hydration.
And what a bad time to start an extreme new regime: immediately after four to six weeks of excess socialising, eating and drinking and less exercise than usual…a recipe for disaster, right? No wonder most New Year’s resolutions are long forgotten by 1 Feb.
Here's what I suggest as an alternative:
Trainer | Anytime Fitness Grand Cayman
New Year's is upon us, and with it are those resolutions that are often wellness- or fitness-related in nature. Coach Rich from Anytime Fitness here, with my top five tips to help you achieve those goals in 2023.
1. Have measurable goals when planning your New Year's resolutions. Improving your range of motion in your squat or increasing your one-rep max deadlift by 15 lbs. are measurable goals. You will physically be able to see the results, which in turn will keep you motivated. A more vague goal will not allow us to know if you have actually achieved it.
2. Work out with a friend. Many people find that working out with a partner or a small group is more motivating than going it alone. Be accountable to your friend and they can do the same for you, or you can help each other through a motivational dip or enjoy some healthy competition. At Anytime Fitness, we have private one-to-one sessions available with personal trainers as well as small group training, which offers semi-private training for groups of up to three or four people.
3. Know where you are starting from. At Anytime Fitness, we use the latest technology with our state-of-the-art Evolt 360 body scanner, which offers a comprehensive body composition scan. The scan is free for members and provides you with more than 35 different pieces of information in terms of your body's current composition, including lean body mass, mineral content, hydration levels, biological age and more, right through to macronutrient recommendations based on your goals. If that all sounds complicated, our certified coaches will guide you through it step by step.
4. Plan ahead. Use the time between Christmas and New Year to make a plan of action for yourself. When can you physically make time to work out? Notice we said make time. Because it won’t happen otherwise if we imagine just finding the time. Can you use that hour available after dropping the kids off on the school run? Can you use your lunch break to your advantage and get a 30-minute workout in? Reward yourself with some quality “me” time, and start feeling good this New Year.
5. Have a workout plan to follow. Often it can be a little overwhelming knowing where to start in the gym. Every member at Anytime Fitness receives two complimentary consultations with one of our very own in-house personal trainers. Let us discover your “why” and set you off in the right direction, with purpose and direction.
Let me leave you with this nugget: "90% of people never have a plan whenever they walk into the gym. Also, 90% of people never reach their goals in the gym. This is not a coincidence." We want to see you succeed and break the cycle of another New Year's resolution. Let’s finally form healthier habits that won’t be discarded by February. Let’s make healthy happen in 2023!
Co-Founder | CrossFit Cayman
At CrossFit Cayman, we believe in the importance of moving and exercising our bodies consistently. We also help teach our members about the ways the things they put into their bodies affect them.
Eating the right foods and quantities will fuel your body properly for everyday life and workouts, fight off disease and help overall health. A great way to kickstart healthier eating habits and have accountability (especially with the holidays right around the corner) is by using a food-tracking app.
These apps will take out all of the guesswork for you! Once you enter in your desired goals, they will give you the information needed to help you reach your goals (calories and macros to hit per day, check-ins at the end of the week, etc.). Remember, these apps aren't about quick fixes, but learning more about nutrition and how what we put into our bodies affects us more than we would ever know!
The two apps we use at the gym and recommend:
• Carbon - Smart Diet Coach.
Remember, it’s all about consistency, not being perfect.
This article was originally published in the December 2022 print edition of Camana Bay Times.